California Veterans Fee Waiver

General Overview

The California College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependent waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any California Community College, a California State University, or a University of California campus.

The California Veterans Fee Waiver ONLY covers tuition and student service fee. The fee waiver does not cover campus-based fees, expense of books, parking or room and board. The fee waiver does not cover self-supporting programs at UC Davis.

The student needs to re-apply each academic year for the California Veteran Fee Waiver through their local county Veterans Affairs office.

Learn more about the California College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependent from Cal Vet website.

Basic Eligibility

  • Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (zero percent or more disabled); or
  • Have a spouse or domestic partner who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100 percent S/C disabled.
  • Be a child earning less than the Cal Vet annual income limit (student’s income, not parents’). Note: There is no income limit for a spouse, domestic partner or children of S/C deceased or 100 percent S/C veterans.
  • Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
  • Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran, such as a copy of a birth, marriage or domestic partnership certificate.
  • All applicants must meet California residency requirements as per the schools requirements. Find the requirements for residency on the University of California webpage.

To Enroll

  • California veterans and dependents should contact their local County Veteran Affairs office to ascertain information regarding application procedures and other related services. Once approved, the local county Veteran Affairs office will send an approval letter to both the institution and the student.

Required Forms for UC Davis

Additional Information

  • Students whose parents are rated less than 100 percent by the Department of Veteran Affairs or who are also receiving Chapter 35 educational benefits, must turn in their previous years tax return or a letter from the Internal Revenue Service stating they were not required to file federal income taxes.
  • Please note, if the student has been awarded other aid specifically designated/restricted by the funding organization to ONLY cover tuition and student service fees (e.g., Cal Grant), then the student may only receive one or the other. It is the practice of our financial aid office to give precedence to the non-waiver award. If you have further questions, please contact the UC Davis Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Contact Information

  • UC Davis Veteran Certifying Official
    530-752-2020 |
  • Veterans Administration Educational Office
  • Veterans Administration Direct Deposit Information