The Post 9/11 GI Bill®, effective August 1, 2009, allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill® benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces.
Learn more about transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill® to spouse and dependents from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family.
- Family members must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits at the time of transfer to receive transferred benefits.
- Apply for benefits online through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Veteran Affairs also has information about applying by mail or in-person, and you will need the following paperwork:
- Dependent's Application for VA Educational Assistance: VA Form 22-5490
Required Forms for UC Davis
- Submit Certificate of Eligibility annually (received in the mail from the VA after processing application for benefits) to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center.
- UC Davis Veterans Success Center In-Take Form for new or transferring students
- Each term (semester/quarter), the student must fill out an Academic Plan Form (APF) and submit it to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center.
- If you used VA benefits at a prior institution, you are required to complete and return a VA form (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center. Dependents use VA Form 22-5495.