Chapter 33: Post 9/11 Transfer of Benefits

General Overview

The Post 9/11 GI Bill®, effective August 1, 2009, allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.  The request to transfer unused GI Bill® benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces.

Learn more about transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill® to spouse and dependents from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Basic Eligibility

  • The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family.
  • Family members must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits at the time of transfer to receive transferred benefits.

To Enroll

Required Forms for UC Davis

  1. Submit Certificate of Eligibility annually (received in the mail from the VA after processing application for benefits) to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center.
  2. UC Davis Veterans Success Center In-Take Form for new or transferring students
  3. Each term (semester/quarter), the student must fill out an Academic Plan Form (APF) and submit it to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center.
  4. If you used VA benefits at a prior institution, you are required to complete and return a VA form (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center. Dependents use VA Form 22-5495.

Contact Information